Mariano
What is the difference between "I would prefer" and "I would rather"? What is the difference between "I would prefer" and "I would rather"?
18 de ene de 2016 23:54
9
1
For me, I find myself use "I'd prefer ..." with nouns And "I'd rather" with actions. But I don't know the actual differences.
19 de Enero de 2016
Generally speaking the meaning's the same, but as Peachey pointed out the grammar's different: I would prefer +N [or] + 'to V'; I would rather + V I would prefer to come later I would prefer the red car I would rather come later Fun fact: you can use "I would rather" (but not "I would prefer") in an exaggerated way to express how strongly you feel, eg. "I would rather die than leave her!"; "I would rather lose all my money than give that dishonest shopkeeper one single dollar!" ;-)
19 de Enero de 2016
Remember that "prefer" is a verb, and "rather" is an adverb. If you write "I'd rather..." then you must follow with a verb in the base form (this follows the "would [verb]" pattern).
19 de Enero de 2016
Mariano
English, French, Russian, Spanish