Wu Ting
How would you interpret ‘with good grade’, ‘impressive’, ‘metal-to-metal brakes’? 1 As for the phrase ‘with good grade’, does it mean the road was made with good quality? 2 As for the word ‘impressive’, does it mean the turns looked so sharp that it seemed dangerous to drive along that road? 3 As for the phrase ‘metal-to-metal brakes’, what kind of brake were they? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context: A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zig-zag down to the bridge. When this road was finished the offensive would start. It came down through the forest in sharp turns….I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. The cars would be all right with their good metal-to-metal brakes and anyway, coming down, they would not be loaded. I drove back up the narrow road.
6
0
1. Yes. 2. No. It is the normal meaning of "impressive". The writer was impressed at how well made the turns in the road were. 3. I'm not a mechanic but I would guess that these brakes did not have rubber cushioning pads. The braking action happened only through the action of one metal component on another metal component. The noise must have been awful!
Wu Ting