Wu Ting
How would you interpret the second sentence? How would you interpret the second sentence ‘A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road’? Where do you think the first shell fell? Did it fell up the road as the three others did? Or did it fell on no particular place, only near the place where the car was stopped? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context: Two carabinieri held the car up. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road. They were seventy-sevens and came with a whishing rush of air, a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road. The carabinieri waved us to go on. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint. I drove back to Gorizia and our villa and, as I said, went to call on Miss Barkley, who was on duty.
1
0
The writer doesn´t say where the first shell fell, and then he adds that three more fell,so what matters is thet they were 4.
Wu Ting