Ana
so... i learned my kana, now what? Hello everyone so i'm pretty stumped here.. I have learned my kana and i don't know what to move on to next. Yes I have learned some vocabulary but not a lot and i also don't know how to write my kana but i am working on it. I have no idea if i should move on to kanji it looks really scary lol but please if you know what i should move on to next please tell me.
3
0
This is only my personal opinion. Great that you've mastered kana! I wouldn't put too much focus into writing it, unless it's something you really want it. Ask yourself how often you are going to find yourself needing to write it, rather than reading it :) Next, I would say it's never too late to start learning Kanji. I would recommend starting www.wanikani.com - it's a spaced repetition learning system for Kanji, and the first 3 levels are free, so you can see if it's something you like. The only pre-requisite is that you know kana. If you do decide to join, please read the FAQ once you've signed up. It explains how the system works (there is a lot of downtime in the beginning, for your own good). Next, you need vocabulary and grammar. Personally, I would use a textbook. The Genki series is really popular, but also expensive. But it does teach you Japanese in a structured manner. If you want a more "beginner" friendly series, look for "Japanese from Zero!", their website with some lessons are www.yesjapan.com :) Although I see it as more of a compendium, http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar could also be used for self study of grammar. Good luck!
When I study kanji, I am constantly writing kana. I write kana every single day, because I have hand-written kanji flashcards and a paper notebook where I write sentences in Japanese and take notes on grammar. Really, if you don't want to learn how to write in kana, you can take all of your notes digitally and avoid it, but it's a nice skill to have. Kanji can be a daunting task at first, but once you get started, you will start to get the hang of it. I promise, it's only your imagination making it scary. You don't need to learn them all at once, you will gradually increase number of kanji you know as you go along. Just a handful of kanji can teach you so many words. Even if it a slow progress, as you review and learn new kanji, you are making progress you will thank yourself for later for. You'll get to a point eventually where you can soar through Japanese text so fast due to your knowledge in Kanji. I agree that kanji should be a side-task which you don't spend all of your study time on, you should worry about grammar as well equally. Writing sentences in kana is fine in the beginning, but try to get out of that habit as soon as you can, as all kana sentences can get confusing, kanji are necessary to know where each word ends.
Ana
English, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Thai