Heidi
Is this correct, 'After the doctor's advice, we went back home'? The context goes like this: Anne was ill. We went to see the doctor. After the doctor's advice, we went back home. Should I replace 'after' with 'with', like 'With the doctor's advice, we went back home'? Thank you!
3
0
Your original sentence looks a bit unnatural. These prepositions are usually used to sequence events or actions. Because "advice" is not an action (it's an idea), it looks slightly strange. It's better to say "After hearing/getting the doctor's advice..." You can also say "After/On/Upon hearing the doctor's advice..." But not "with". "With" = while, eg. "With temperatures rising every year, governments are finding ways to fight climate change".
I might just say, "we went to the doctor for his advice (insert maybe about what the visit was for). After getting his advice we went straight home (maybe to rest)"
Anne was ill. We went to see the doctor. After the doctor's advice, we went back home. I would write it as : Anne was ill, so we went to see the doctor. After the doctor's visit and medical advice, we all went back home.
Heidi