Wu Ting
How would you interpret ‘special’ in the context? How would you interpret ‘special’ in the sentence ‘So we're all on very special behavior’? Does it mean ‘unusual’ or ‘designed for a particular purpose or occasion’? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context: "Aren't you a nurse?" "Oh, no. I'm something called a V. A. D. We work very hard but no one trusts us." "Why not?" "They don't trust us when there's nothing going on. When there is really work they trust us." "What is the difference?" "A nurse is like a doctor. It takes a long time to be. A V. A. D. is a short cut." "I see." "The Italians didn't want women so near the front. So we're all on very special behavior. We don't go out." "I can come here though." "Oh, yes. We're not cloistered."
1
0
It means that they're on their best behaviour i.e. behaving well - no flirtations with the troops.
Wu Ting