Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase? How would you interpret this phrase ‘put my arm around under her arm’? I think they were standing face to face. The boy took the girl’s hand with his hand and hugged the girl with his other arm (not the arm whose hand holding the girl’s hand) around the girl’s arm. What do you think? Thanks. It’s from A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. the context: We looked at each other in the dark. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. She let me take it and I held it and put my arm around under her arm. "No," she said. I kept my arm where it was. "Why not?" "No." "Yes," I said. "Please." I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. She had slapped my face hard. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes, and tears came in my eyes from the reflex.
2
0
‘put my arm around under her arm’ > had your hand across her back and your palm touching or holding a side of her chest just below her armpit
Wu Ting