Marzia
Community Tutor
Ing form Hello, when I speak in English, I have always doubts about the of infinitive or in form. Thank for answerThe use of infinitive or ing form Thank you
7
0
You could say "when I'm speaking in English..." or "when I speak in English..." and they would mean the same thing. When I'm answering questions/when I answer questions etc. I hope that helps.
Sorry Marzia, I misread your question and native language :-( Infinitive and -ing verbs are used basically the same way as in Spanish or French, and I'm assuming also in Italian. The infinitive is used very often with an auxiliary verb: - they need to eat - she wants to do it - I'm supposed to leave Also in some phrases that I cannot explain grammatically :-P - That's nice of you to say - To be loved is to be happy The -ing form is as I described in the other answer. It can be used in the present, past or future: - He is working today - She is (will be) coming home tomorrow - I was driving yesterday Again, I believe the most common usage is similar to Spanish and Italian.
The unhelpful answer, I'm afraid, is that you just have to learn set phrases and combinations of words. You need to read and listen to as much native speaker English as possible, until it becomes instinctive to you, and you know what forms sound right following particular verbs and phrases. Here are a couple of tips, though: You always use an 'ing' form (gerund) after prepositions - of, with, from, by, through, on and so on. The only exception is 'to', which is usually - though not always - followed by the infinitive. This rule is an extremely good and very important rule that will help you a lot. I wish that more students knew it and took notice of it. Modal verbs (can, must etc) are followed by the infinitive without 'to'. Some causative verbs, like 'make' and 'let' are also followed by the infinitive without 'to'. For example, 'Let me see'. This is a more general idea, but it often works. Following verbs referring to plans, desires etc about the future, we often use 'to' + infinitive - want, hope, decide, intend, need, plan, would like, for example, are all followed by 'to' + infinitive.
I'm not sure if you are asking "what is the infinitive verb form in English," but it is indicated by placing "to" in front of the unconjugated verb: - to eat (comer) => he eats (come) - to shave oneself (afeitarse) => he shaves himself Sorry, I don't understand what the "in form" might refer to. Do you mean the "ing" form? That's the present progressive (= -endo/-ando): - to eat (comer) => he is eating (está comiendo)
Marzia
English, French, Italian, Spanish, Turkish
English, French, Spanish, Turkish