Xue
Could you please tell me how to answer question politely? I will have IELTS test in 4days, and I think I always be impolite when I answer questions. My English teacher said our answers like OF COURSE and ABSOLUTELY are impolite, is that true? What's more, I really want some dating sites or apps to get on with people from other countries, do you have anything recommended? Some apps I can't log in, such as Face Book and ins, because of network limitations. Thank you for your answers!!
3
0
OF COURSE and ABSOLUTELY we would say they are a little "sharp" of course suggests that only an idiot cannot see this absolutely is slightly better but it suggests that there is no argument, no possibility of disagreement. It would be better to say, Yes, I agree, I think so, I agree with you, I believe so. Each of which is agreeing without any "edge" but YES is the easiest and the cleanest. The other issue is how do you say NO. Again it can be sharp, so you can soften it the same way, "no, I don't think so", "perhaps not", "I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you", "we will have to agree to disagree" even "no, I have to disagree with you" is softer than NO. avoid, you are correct, as it suggests the person is a teacher of great wisdom
The thing about the speaking test (and the writing one too) is that you have t be formal, like on a job interview. 'Of course' is not impolite, but really informal, and 'absolutely' too. Why dating sites specifically? You can try posting something on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeNewFriendsHere/ and ask people to add you. And I'm preparing for the IELTS too, so if you want to chat using text or voice, add me here and send your cantact details (I have whatsapp, wechat, line, and many other)
Xue