Ken
I can't fully understand the following dialogue. Any suggestions? A: Look! We're halfway down already! B: We're not even halfway yet? -------- From the person A's statement, I assume they have passed the halfway point. But the person B replies as if they haven't passed the halfway point yet. I'd like to know if the above dialogue is logical or not, though the dialogue was pick up from my English text book published in my country. :-)And, is there any possibility that the person B might assume they have passed the halfway point by the person A's statement.
7
0
No, B's question is not a logical response to A's statement. You are correct, A says they're halfway down, then B wants to confirm they are not halfway down.
You can imagine this dialogue in such a scene: Two people are getting down a hill. They feel tired. So A wants to encourage B. But actually they have not passed the halfway point.
It's not a very logical response, but it makes sense if I imagine that person B was hoping they were a lot closer to the end point. Person A's statement is optimistic -- we've already come so far, and we're doing very well. Person B's statement is more pessimistic -- what do you mean, we're only halfway there? We've been walking forever! I feel like it's more about how the travelers feel about the distance than about the exact point in their journey, if that makes sense. I hope that's a little helpful!
Ken
English, German, Japanese