emar
crunchy While listening to a BBC programme; it es an interview.the interviewee said she was a crunchy woman.the interviewer, then asked her if she had or ate sort of * granilla???? I didnt get the word nor the meaning.what could it be? Any idea? Thank you
5
0
These are popular slang expressions at the moment. crunchy = likes natural food, veganism, free-trade coffee, etc. Kind a modern hippie. granola = a rough cereal made from whole grains (like muesli, if you know that). It is very hard and crunchy when dry, hence the slang "crunchy" because that is the type of person who would eat such a thing.
John is correct, at least for U.S. usage. It is a slightly joking or teasing expression. It's not a serious insult, but it suggests that the person is overenthusiastic. It is similar to the word "green." And I, too, think the word is suggestive of "crunchy granola." The United States has been a very enthusiastic consumer of packaged, nationally-branded "breakfast cereal" like Kellogg's Corn Flakes. In the late 1960s and early 1970s people concerned with healthy eating, natural foods, and the counterculture would often suggest that instead of buying commercially packaged cereal, people ought to make their own granola at home. So "crunchy granola" became a kind of emblem of a certain lifestyle. I hate to stereotype cities, but... Boulder, Colorado might be stereotyped as a "very crunchy" city.
I suspect that by 'crunchy woman', the speaker meant that she had a liking for crunchy food, such as breakfast cereals that crunch when you eat them. The food mentioned was probably 'Granola', which is similar to muesli.
emar