Gil-seop
Don't you use the verb "insult" in this way? I wrote this: "Venice was so fantastic, like a village in fairy tale books, that I really envied the visitors. Since I'm a horrible writer, it is insulting it for me to describe its beauty, haha." I mean that I cannot do justice to the beauty of Venice with "it is insulting it for me to describe its beauty." Don't you use the verb "insult" in this way? Should I say only "I cannot do justice to the beauty of Venice"? Thanks!
8
0
We can use the verb "to insult" but not in the way you phrased it. When you say "it is insulting it for me" it means that you find it personally insulting. It will be the same as saying, "I find it insulting to take orders from a person who is 20 years younger than me" or "I find it insulting to me mocked at in a foreign language." It will be better to say : "Since I'm a horrible writer, any attempts of describing Venice will be an insult to its beauty." P.S: I think you are a good writer! :-)
The word choice is fine and your sentiment is easy to understand. There's something a bit awkward about "it is insulting it" though, with the repetition of "it". You might consider something like "it is an insult to the city ...".
You have used the verb "insult" perfectly, but the grammar needs changing just a tiny bit. Either: a) it is insulting for me to describe its beauty. b) I am insulting it by describing its beauty. Lovely writing though - not an insult at all! Tom
Gil-seop