Michael Timothy
Cannot Tell the difference I've just posted an article in Chinese. But there's a character that has a same meaning, but different character. 古典 (gǔ diǎn) 经典 (jīng diǎn) Both has the same meaning for classic/classical
5
0
古典refers to an orthodoxy and exemplar that represents some culture feature which belongs to the past eg.古典音乐(classical music) 古典文学(classical literature) 古典经济学(classical economics) 经典refers to 1.magisterial work,classics(also can be used as a adjective) 西游记是经典。/西游记是一部经典的小说。 2.scriptures I'm not fluent in English yet.I looked up dictionary again and again,trying to explain this to you. Hope this helps. Also correct me if there's something wrong with my English.
Anything that contains the ancient style, we call it 古典, for instance, 古典音乐,古典书籍, etc. Anything that can be popular and prevailing for a long long time, and be the model or example for its counterpart in the same category, we call it 经典.
Both mean "classics" but 古典 means "from very old days" 经典 can be modern. For example, Beethoven's can be 古典 whereas "Hey Jude" is Beatles classic and 经典 is used instead.
Thank you
"古典"有一个"古"字,表示是古代流传下来的 "经典",未必是很老的东西,但也可以成为经典,比如说《终结者II》很经典,但不能说它很古典.
Michael Timothy
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Indonesian
Chinese (Mandarin)