Check out our updated Community
Momochan
What is the difference? count on somebody / look to somebody Hello there, Could you please explain the difference between two phrasal verbs below? 1) count on somebody Example* I'm counting on you. You are always counting on him helping you. 2) look to somebody He always looks to me to help him. I looked to my father to help with financial support. In an English - Japanese dictionary, both has the same meaning written in Japanese. Thank you, Aki
Hey Aki, I can see how you've been confused. Counting on someone is the ability to rely on them, trusting them to do or be something. For example, when you need your sister to pickup something for you, you are counting on her to do it. Or if she is not reliable, you are not counting on her to do it. However looking to someone means to turn to them, for something that you would like from them. For example you can turn to someone for support, for love or even for laugh, etc.
Momochan