Sara
Make VS. Cause Hi everybody, Hope everything goes well. I'm already confused with these two sentences. Would you please tell me which ones are correct and tell the difference. Thanks in advance 1. The noise from traffic outside the school can cause it hard to hear what the teacher is saying. 2. The noise from traffic outside the school can make it hard to hear what the teacher is saying. 3. Hurricanes made widespread damage in urban areas. 4. Hurricanes cause widespread damage in urban areas.
1
0
Number 2 is correct. Number 1 could be written it as "The noise from outside the school can cause it to be hard to hear the teacher. This would be grammatical, but pretty awkward. Out of 3 and 4, neither is correct. Number 4 would be more natural as "The hurricane caused widespread damage". Number 3 is grammatically correct, but awkward.
Sara