shiva
which part of speech is "distant" in this sentence? I found "distant" as an adjective in dictionary but how an adjective can comes with "a" before that in this sentence? "death from heart disease is a distant." and what does it mean too?
7
1
Death is "a catastrophe." What kind of catastrophe? A distant, quiet one. Distant and quiet are adjectives referring to "a catastrophe." "Distant" means far away. It can mean in far away in TIME, or PLACE, or even someone's thoughts. For example: "I do't care about her. She is only a distant thought." In this case, the authors (Freakonomics, right?) are saying that people don't think about heart attacks every day, because a heart attack is something that isn't happening now. It's distant in time. It might happen some day far in the future.
That's not a complete sentence. It is missing something.
Are you sure the quote is accurate. I would have expected the adjective "distant' to be followed by a noun such as "distant possibility" meaning "unlikely".
Your intuition is right: this sentence does not make sense as it is! There is one word missing after "distant". From the point of view of a young person, for example, death from heart disease is only a distant **possibility**.
shiva
English, French, Persian (Farsi)