LoveT8
What's the meaning of "rough-fisted" in the following sentence? But generally speaking, the rough-fisted barons of the twelfth and thirteenth century were hard-working administrators who rendered a most useful service to the cause of progress. P.S. I guess that "rough-fisted" maybe is a metaphor in this sentence. Right? So there is no explanation in dictionary and I don't know how to explain it. Could you help me to settle it? Thank you!
4
0
Right, the expression's meaning is unfamiliar to me, but we can puzzle it out. It seems obvious that when rough is hyphenated with fisted, the result suggests toughness and a no-nonsense attitude. Tough-fisted suggests something similar. Hard-fisted carries that same idea, but also the definition of stingy (like tight-fisted).
To me, "fisted" intensifies the meaning of the word "rough", as if being rough was inherent to those barons. I also think it means they were highly inflexible. I hope it would help! :)
LoveT8