joy
A centenary from the phantom of the opera Hello! I do not know what "complete appearance" means here: He existed in flesh and blood, although he assumed the complete appearance of a real phantom; that is to say, of a ghost. I also have another question. Does "assume" mean "fake" here? Thank you so much!I wanted to write "sentence" in the title, but my input app changed it automatically
4
0
In the context of the sentence, "assumed the complete appearance of" means "looked like." The sentence could have been written as: "He existed in flesh and blood, although he looked like a real phantom; that is to say, a ghost."
Assumed in this sense means "to take on" or "begin to have." He took on the appearance of a ghost. He made himself look like a ghost. Note: It's not the same as "he looked like a ghost." "Assumed" implies that he did it knowingly. A thing can "look like" a ghost without meaning to. He meant to do it and acted to make himself look like a ghost. Similarly, a person can "assume the position of president." Or "assume responsibility for something". It means that they take it upon themselves. "Complete appearance" means that he looked EXACTLY like a ghost. Not just a little bit like a ghost, but completely.
To assume the appearance of something is also to pretend to be that thing. So it means that he pretended to be a ghost. He made people believe that he was a ghost and not a real live person.
joy