Simone
Function of か in this context Hi there again, I have a little doubt concerning this line I found in a video: しまった!おそかったか!(Link: https://www.erin.ne.jp/en/lesson02/advanced/index.html) What kind of function does this か have in this particular context? Thank you in advance!
5
1
Actually no meanings lol しまった!おそかったか! しまった!おそかった! are totally the same meaning. か itself in this sentence is no meaning, just one of expression. But I could say if you put か in this sentence, I feel like you put more your emotion in this sentence. Maybe you really wanted to buy やきそばパン, but you can not buy it. It little bit make sentence more strong your emotion than without か.
I think 「か」 expresses discouragement in this case.
Ok, perfect! Thank you for you answer! :)
To me,「しまった!おそかったか!」means "Crap! I can't believe I was late!" or "Crap!" To think that I would be late!" Basically, expressing disappointment at one's own actions.
Simone
English, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
Japanese