Dula
what's the difference between "other" & "another" is it only singularity ? when can i use this and that ?? is it only another for single and other plural and if so what about "others" ?
3
0
"Another" is just "an other" written as one word. Apart from that, the normal rules of articles apply. E.g. Indefinite singular - Another (an other) Definite singular - The other Indefinite plural - Others Definite plural - The others So you can see that, except for the fact that "an other" is written as "another", "other" functions just like any other adjective.
all my spacing disappeared when I pasted the answer I hope this doesn't make it difficult to read.
"and another thing" meaning more information either singular or plural is about to be said. (singular) "I'll have another" - meaning I will have one more (singular) (as a family or group we get along with one another) - meaning everybody gets along with each other (singular) another for the most part is used mostly in a singular sense. think of it like this; (a) or (an) is used for singular objects (a other became another because you use (an) in front of a vowel and the word evolved into another) *please note I don't know if that's the way actual way it happened, I'm just trying to make it easy to remember how to use it. some other way - meaning a different way other than that - meaning something else singular or plural either related or not to the conversation. other: (there is no other difference or there are no other differences) give me that other thing or give me those other things in both of these sentences the sense of singular or plural is the job of other words in the sentence to convey. the use of (others) especially when refering to people means a group or set different or separate from one you identify with and conveys a plural sense I don't want to go to the movies with the others. I don't relate well with others.
Dula
Arabic, English, Italian, Russian
English, Italian, Russian