jin sun
She’s shy to begin with Hi everyone, I wonder what it means ,'She’s shy to begin with' Thank you for your time :)
29. Jan 2016 10:30
7
0
Hello Jin Sun, it means that somebody is originally shy. You know, sometimes people tend to be somebody else in order to be accepted in the society. Later on, when people could already accept her/ him, they begin to show their true self, their true colors. "She is shy to begin with", means that she is already shy, before and after you get to know her. I hope my answer can help you... :)
29. Januar 2016
Thank you for all kind words
29. Januar 2016
There is an alternative meaning. Instead of expressing that "she is shy at first but eventually is less shy", the speaker might be beginning a list of things. "To begin with" can be a signal for a list, which suggests that it is the first and most important item on the list. Example: If you asked me why I am tired, I might reply: "To begin with, I haven't gotten a good night sleep in a while. But I'm also very busy at work and need a vacation." In that exchange, "to begin with" is not temporal. It is just a signal phrase, emphasizing relative importance.
29. Januar 2016
Its like you saying > To BEGIN telling someone WITH the first reason before the other reasons.
29. Januar 2016
To begin with >This phrase means" to give the first most important reason for something" Use only as a reply when you want to give reasons ,and that is first important reason that come to your mind. You want him to be a leader ? Ok, Let me tell you why he cant be one . To begin with , he is shy , besides the many other reasons I don't wish to mention now. This hotel is no good . To begin with, it so bloody far away from town. To begin with > At the start of something . WE began this project with 2 workers / There were only 2 workers to begin with in this project earlier.
29. Januar 2016
jin sun