Coco
Some scentences that is dificult to understand 1.As soon as I'd left the office or the bar, I'd burst into tears of frustration and silently chide myself for my incompetence. Q:What does the " 'd " refer to ? And what's the meaning of using this word ? Is it to show a specific time tense? 2.If you're mean to yourself whenever you stumble or fail, you simply set yourself up to fail again. Q: What does "set yourself up to fail" mean? Is there any difference between "set yourself up to " and "set yourself up for” ? 3.But you can certainly change how you respond, and specifically, whether you learn from the situation. Q: Why does this sentence use " specifically" ? Does it means "in detail" ? Is it used for explaining former half sentence? I cant understand the logic relationships between two sentences. THX~ :)
5
0
1. 'd = had (for past perfect) or would. Normally, you can tell from the context, but you can tell from the grammar too, because "had" is used with a past participle (PP) and "would" with an infinitive: I'd done it when he arrived (=had) I'd do homework every night when I was a student (=would) 2. "set yourself up to fail"/"set yourself up for failure" = do something foolish that guarantees you will fail. eg. "If you don't study regularly, you're just setting yourself up to fail" 3. "But you can certainly change how you respond [to situations in general], and specifically, whether you learn from the [specific] situation [we are talking about now]." - I had to guess a little about the context, but hopefully adding those words in makes the sentence a little easier to understand. Feel free to ask any questions. If you don't ask questions when you don't understand, you just set yourself up to fail ;-)
1)would 2) carry out actions to ensure that you failed. "set yourself up to FAIL " and "set yourself up for FAILURE” ? 3) first half sentence offers many different results, the "specifically" asks you to look at just one subset, in this case what you learn.
Coco