KellyXu
No skips or landfill or foundations left behind?? So I’m sure he’s built himself an aputiak and he’s just waiting till we come and find him. He told me it’s snug inside. ‘How can it be when it’s made of SNOW?’ I said. ‘Snow’s a brilliant insulator, lots of pockets of air, so it keeps the cold out. And your own body heat makes it cosy too.’ ‘“Cosy”?’ ‘Cosy. And sometimes they use a qulliq which is like a lamp and a heater all in one. It’s a stone bowl and you burn blubber and that makes it toasty. Want to know something interesting?’ He knows that I always want to know something interesting. ‘In late spring it just melts away. No skips or landfill or foundations left behind. Not even a wheelie bin amount of rubbish or a waste-paper basket amount. It all just disappears right back into the earth.’ As to ‘In late spring it just melts away', i would like to know does the "it " refer to "snow" or "aputiak"? And what does “ No skips or landfill or foundations left behind” mean. Thanks.
30 janv. 2016 05:01
1
0
"It" refers to the houses, the aputiak. They're entirely made of ice, so in the spring when it begins to warm, the entire house melts into water and simply disappears. The character is saying that when a more typical house, one not made of ice, is dismantled or moved, there will always be some evidence that it was there. But the aputiak is different, because it can totally disappear. "Landfill" in this case refers to soil that is dug out or moved for the laying of a "foundation" which is a stone or concrete platform that a house is built on top of. I'm not certain what is meant by "skips". This story seems to be written in British English because 'cozy' is spelled 'cosy' in the British style. I'm an American, so it's possible 'skips' is lingo only used in British English. But it's safe to say that a skip is something normally found near a house or dwelling.
30 janvier 2016
KellyXu