Ethan
A Few Questions from CEFR Level Test 1.This meat is beautifully ______ - what recipe did you use? A. gentle B. tender C. mild D. soft 2.Unfortunately, our hotel turned out to be a(n) _____ distance from the beach. A.sizeable B.extensive C.considerable D.substantial 3.I had no idea that you were planning to come - you _____ me. A.would have warned B.might have warned C.could be warning D.should be warning 4.Soldiers have been sent in to try to restore ______ in the area. A.harmony B.order C.organisation D.regulation 5.It's a great place to live apart from the increasing volume of ______ that passes under my window every day. A.traffic B.vehicles C.transport D.circulation 6.The professor's unusual theories are sure to come under ______ from many of his rivals. A.attack B.doubt C.objection D.criticism 7.Local residents ______ objected to the plans to build a supermarket where there is currently a beautiful park. A.harshly B.strenuously C.roundly D.severely
3
1
I'm going to answer these, but I want to let you know that at least in American English you will not hear someone talk like this. Under each, I rewrote the sentence to reflect what you are more likely to hear. 1.B This meat is beautifully tender - what recipe did you use? - Wow, this meat is so tender - is this a new recipe? 2. A, C, or D. D is technically correct, but you'll hear the others. Unfortunately, our hotel turned out to be a substantial distance from the beach. - Unfortunately, our hotel turned out to be a really long distance from the beach. 3. B I had no idea that you were planning to come - you might have warned me. - I had no idea you were coming - you should've warned me. 4. B Soldiers have been sent in to try to restore order in the area. (You'll hear this one, but only on the news.) 5. A It's a great place to live apart from the increasing volume of traffic that passes under my window every day. - It's a great place to live, except for all of the traffic outside. 6. A or D, but D matches the type of language used and is slightly more likely to be correct. The professor's unusual theories are sure to come under criticism from many of his rivals. - The professor's odd theories are sure to draw criticism from his rivals. 7. A Local residents harshly objected to the plans to build a supermarket where there is currently a beautiful park. - Local residents objected harshly to plans to replace a park with a supermarket. - Local residents objected harshly to plans to build a supermarket as it would replace a beautiful park. (Again, you'll only hear this kind of language in the news)
Ethan
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
English, German