Ruslan
Can I replace "a chemical element, is......" with "a chemical element which is....."? 1. Iridium, a chemical element, is one of the platinum metals that is dense and rare. 2. Iridium, a chemical element which is one of the platinum metals that is dense and rare. I guessed the sentence #2 was missing a Subject.
Your first sentence is correct. The second sentence has become a phrase. You can correct this to be a sentence by adding commas and removing the word "that." Iridium, a chemical element, which is one of the platinum metals, is dense and rare.
-To me, both of the sentences seem to have enough information to use in the situation for learning English. (To use the following information in a academic sense. I feel like "Iridium, part of the platinum metals, is a element very dense are rare....) Maybe not worded exactly like so. I feel like on the Discovery Channel and/or National Geographic channel would have a narrator speaking somewhat close to how I changed around the words. [I'm interested in how to say this too, yet I dont talk like this very often so I couldn't say how grammatically correct my way would be. :)
The first option is the correct way of stating it - this is an example of appositives and proper comma rules. Another way it could be worded is, "The chemical element Iridium is one of the platinum metals that is dense and rare."
Ruslan
Arabic, English, Indonesian, Italian, Javanese, Turkish
Arabic, English, Italian, Turkish