Masato Hatayama
A question about "as if". Which of sentences below is the most "natural" for native English speakers? (I don't care whether it's grammatically correct or not.) 1. My older brother is annoying. He acts as if he is my boss. 2. My older brother is annoying. He acts as if he was my boss. 3. My older brother is annoying. He acts as if he were my boss.
Sentence 2! "He was" .
1. My older brother is annoying. He acts as if he is my boss.> he think he is 2. My older brother was annoying. He acted as if he was my boss.> he thought he was 3. My older brother is annoying. He acts as if he were my boss.> he thought he is a boss of you ,but definately he cant or is not. If you/he /they/it were >" were "is used to show that this conditional sentence is impossible to happen . He acted as if he were my father, for example.
Todd is right. "were" is traditionally the correct version, but it's extremely common to say the other versions as well, and most people don't even know the actual grammar.
I agree with this answer
Thanks a lot! I was confused about this problem because I've seen all of three. I'm very interested that 'he were' is grammatically correct, even though it seems wrong at first glance.
Masato Hatayama
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese