Susie L.
How to politely decline marketing survey or sells on street? How to refuse someone when he/she stops you on street, and talks a lot of thing in order to make marketing survey or sell something to you? I usually said :" Sorry, I have no time." But it sounds like Chinese English. Please tell me what will you say when you politely decline them. Thanks!
I normally don't say anything. Just make eye contact and shake my head with a polite smile while not breaking stride.
That's fine, or just say, "no thanks."
Depending on your mood at the time, and the aggressiveness of the request, I might just show them the "bras d'honneur". This is not seen much in the US, but it is understood, and it is a softer gesture than some others which can be used and is not likely to provoke an aggressive reaction. The true meaning is not lost, but the connotation is more like, "Get away from me with this (survey, pitch, etc.)"
I usually say "No thank you" and walk away. Be polite but firm.
Susie L.
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Shanghainese), English