emar
upkeep/ ing Does " upkeep " collocate with cars and most means of transport? And could we normally usr the ppattern :" there is a lot of "plus an action verb in the - ing form ? For ex.there is a lot of upkeeping on bikes There is a lot of going into on this problem Thank you
Upkeep is a noun, so we don't add -ing to it.
I always interpret "upkeep" as another way of expressing "maintenance". example... My house is old, so there is a bit of upkeep to do for it. Substitute "bike" for "house" and you get the same meaning... My bike is old, so there is a bit of upkeep to do for it. As far as your second sentence, sounds like you are trying to use "going on"? There is a lot "going on" with this problem. In this case, it expresses a lot of "activity" occurring. Secondary thought... it can be used to express a casual greeting, too. "Hey, what's going on"? (Which is a more informal way to say "What's happening?")
emar