Please help me to translate I translate one article about studing at the Cambridge University and have found a strange expression about a daily routine at University. I mean the summer courses that they organize for foreign students. In one of evenings students do this: "Punting on the Cam" Please, help me - I can't translate this expression. What does it mean?
Feb 3, 2016 5:35 PM
Answers · 4
Катание на плоскодонных лодках по реке Кэм
February 3, 2016
Hi Nataly! Punting is a boating activity. Many English speakers might not know about it. The punt is an old fashioned flat-bottomed boat for use in rivers and shallow water. It is an old tradition at Cambridge. There is punting for pleasure and even competitive punting. I am certain if you asked most Americans about this they would have no idea what punting is. I am only familiar with it because a friend's brother went to Oxford and I heard about it.
February 3, 2016
Here are some images:;=lnms&tbm;=isch&sa;=X&ved;=0ahUKEwjF7byukdzKAhXMOyYKHd7iCAAQ_AUIBygB&biw;=1426&bih;=740 The Cam is the river which flows through Cambridge. 'Punting' means travelling on long, flat, shallow boat along the river. These boats, called 'punts' are a common site on the river both in Cambridge and Oxford. They're a bit like gondolas - the passengers recline and the person in charge moves and steers the boat with a long pole. A must for students and tourists alike!
February 3, 2016
Many thanks for your comments
February 4, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Language Skills
English, German, Russian
Learning Language
English, German