Autumnholic Pau
Intensifiers and modifiers There are adverbs that go with gradable adjectives, others go with ungradable ones and others go with both, but I can't find a way of understand this or remember which adverb goes with what. Is there any easy way of understand this?
Feb 9, 2016 1:05 PM
Answers · 6
You can modify a gradable adjective to show various degrees, by either strengthening or weakening- something can be really hot, slightly hot, or not so hot. Non-gradable adjectives are for extremes, absolutes or permanently defined states. You can only modify non-gradable adjectives to intensify. Take "fantastic." So something can be utterly fantastic (speaks to intensity) but you can't say something is "slightly" fantastic. Or think of "dead." You can't be partially dead, but you can be stone cold dead.
February 9, 2016
Actually I think I figured it out. By "non-gradable adjectives", are you referring to adjectives that can only be true or false?
February 9, 2016
Sorry, but could you give examples of gradable and ungradable adjectives? I'm not sure what you mean.
February 9, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Autumnholic Pau
Language Skills
English, Spanish
Learning Language