joy
The difference between British and American accent? Last week, i was see a British TV serial, and actually I don't really get the British accent. please teach me how to work on this. tks!!
IMO, the american accent utilizes the nasal passageway, whereas an english accent is all through the mouth. the english accent is more like a whisper.
There is not just one British accent. The accent of a Londoner is very different from someone from Liverpool, and that is different again to someone from Devon. All live in England and within a couple of hours drive of each other, yet each sound very different. If you take the wider "Britain" to include Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the accents there are based on the ancient Gaelic, and can be almost impossible to understand to people outside their communities. To answer your question, the only way to learn each of the regional accents is to take a lot of time listening and practicing with a native speaker of that accent. There is no easy way to learn them all, even for a native English speaker.
The pronunciation of the vowels are different.
Obviously, there are more differences than the one I mentioned above, that was just one that came to mind.