Enrico H.
Can you help me in writing a formal email? Hello. I have to write an email to a professor I will probably meet next year who teaches in a university abroad. I quite always wrote unformal emails in English, usually starting with "Dear ___", but in my language it sounds a bit inappropriate for this situation. Is it the same in English? And if so, how can I start this kind of emails? Which forms are commonly used in these situations?
Feb 14, 2016 5:56 PM
Answers · 2
To use "Dear Mr. _______" (or Mrs.) is the correct form of address for a formal letter in the U.S. and Canada. I believe it is also correct in the UK. If you truly feel uncomfortable using this word, however, you can substitute "Esteemed Mr. _____" in its place. However, this is usually considered too formal for an email and is not as commonly used.
February 14, 2016
If you know the professor's name, then Dear _____ is a common, recognized, salutation in English. It shows respect and should be used if you are writing a formal letter or e-mail to the professor. Among good friends or family, unstructured rules can apply.
February 14, 2016
Still haven’t found your answers?
Write down your questions and let the native speakers help you!
Enrico H.
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English, German, Italian, Japanese
Learning Language
English, Japanese