German Bayo
"I get filled up this hole" Hello everyone. I'd appreciate if any of you could help me with the following doubt. Yesterday I was watching a TV cartoon series with my daugther and in a scene I think I heard the following sentence: I get filled up this hole. I wondered whether or not this sentences was synonym to I'm filling up this hole in case this sentence I thought I listened to was real, in any case...Does this form consisting in "get´+past participle" exist as a present continuous form? Thank you very much in advance.
Apr 9, 2016 7:02 PM
It's not a correct sentence.
April 9, 2016
It would help a lot if you gave us a link to the cartoon series, so we can listen as well. I agree with the other members: you misheard the sentence.
April 10, 2016
"I get filled up this hole" > You heard wrong . This has not meaning in whatever situation. I will get this hole filled up ??
April 9, 2016
Could it have been "I get fed up with this hole"? This is slang for somebody saying they are fed up with a place. I'm not sure if you would hear it in a children's cartoon though.
April 9, 2016
Hi, No, get + past participle isn't a structure used as a present continuous in English - it's occasionally used when talking about the future (for example, you could say 'I am going to get fired') but this is using 'get' as the future of 'become' - this type of sentence is very rare and there are only a few contexts where it makes sense. 'I get filled up this hole' isn't a proper sentence in English! I hope this has explained things for you.
April 9, 2016