Daniel
Chinese grammar I've been learning a lot of chinese vocabulary but its so difficult to put the right words in the right order. The grammar is so different from English. Does anyone have any methods or tricks to learn to "build" sentences correctly in Chinese?
这是我们常说的"语感".如果给你讲一堆主谓宾定状补,我觉得也没有什么实际意义,而且作为一个中国人我都不大能弄清楚这些...(汗~~).毕竟汉语的结构不是一成不变的. "你先走" 和"你走先",这两句你说哪句大家都能明白. 所以学汉语时不要被语法所控制,多听别人说,听得多了,自然也就会用了...
中文语法很重要!我看过和听过很多中国朋友说“只要你每天跟中国朋友试试说中文没关系”我觉得一你的语法错了就中国朋友告诉你。有时候你的语法措了他们大笑出来。我说中文的时候,我经常写错了。我慢慢就习惯了。zhoume 说得对。你应该学习中国文化。如果你要学习中国。我的意思是因为中国很大所以中国的民族很多。每民族的文化不一样。可能让你糊涂。
Similarly, practice to start a sentence with a because/if/(al)though/when/while clause, because that's the order we think in Mandarin even though they are actually less important parts and are more likely to be thrown to the end in English. Nevertheless, besides the subject-verb structure, there is also another structure that is very commonly-used in Mandarin: subject-comment, where the subject is not the doer but the focus of the sentence, which means very often what is called object (receiver of the verb) will be moved to the top. A closest thing you can get in English would be something like “That I know.” In Mandarin, it's very common to say “Dinner I've already eaten,” which would be more likely to be “I've already eaten dinner” in English. Yoda in Star Wars will speak in this way. And last but not least, please pay attention to how some words are habitually put together, for which the grammar talk is “collocation”.
All exceptions aside, Mandarin is a save-the-best-for-last language. Here “the best”, meaning the “predicate”, the chunk that contains the verb, is thrown far to the end, and we fill the gap between the subject and verb with less important information, such as time, place, co-doers, and means/material. On the contrary, English is more of a get-right-to-the-point language. This language introduces the predicate right after the subject and throws those less important pieces of info to the end. And amazingly those less important pieces are usually arranged in the reversed order of Mandarin. Simply put, the cars in the train of thought in a Mandarin-speaking mind tends to go in the following order: Subject → Time → Place → Co-doer → Means/Material → Verb (→ Object) But in English it becomes: Subject → Verb (→ Object) → Means/Material → Co-doer → Place → Time Hence, the following sentence in Mandarin... 我(subject)→昨天(time)→在家(place)→和弟弟(co-doer)→用水彩(means/material)→畫了(verb)→一幅畫(object) I (subject) → yesterday (time) → at home (place) → with my brother (co-doer) → in watercolors (means/material) → painted (verb) → a picture (object) ...would be “I painted a picture in watercolors with my brother at home yesterday” in English.
Actually,Chinese grammar is similar to English Grammar.But some of them are different.e.g.I watched the football match yesterday(English) 我昨天看了一场足球赛。(Chinese) The most useful way is that you should read many sentence patterns then catch them and speak out. There are some examples for you:  1)the completely structure of sentence: (adjective) subject + [adverbial] predicate verb <a complement > + (adjective) object e.g.(我们)学生||[一定][要]学<好>(专业)课程 Adjective is in front of subject and modify limited subject or the main object. e.g :(冬天里)的春天 Adverbial follows after predicate verb and explains the main predicate verb . e.g.:辨认<仔细> PS: Adverbial is always put in front of the main verb,but when Adverbial is noun and shows the meaning of "time"place" aim",it can be put in front of subject.e.g.[在杭州]我们游览了西湖胜景。 2)You should pay attention to the special sentence of “把”“被”。 a.the structure: 把 + object the sentence of " 把" shows the meaning of volunteering to do. e.g.我们把老虎打死了(We killed the tiger) b.the structure :subject + 被+the object of 被 + verb phrase the sentence of " 被 " shows passive ,the subject acceptes the action. e.g. 小偷被警察抓住了(The thief was arrested by the policeman) 3)Maybe there are some mistakes that you often make: a.语序不当(wrong order)e.g.我国粮食的生产能够自给自足(We can offer the grain by ourselves) “ 粮食的生产”(wrong)→“生产的粮食”(right) b.结构混乱(confusing structure)e.g(The desk is made of wood)桌子的主要材料是木头等加工成的(wrong)→“桌子的材料是木头”Or“桌子是由木头加工成的” c.搭配不当(collocation error)e.g.(I gave you a piece of paper)我给了你一快纸(wrong)→我给了你一张纸。 WOW, you catch them? I hope so. HEHE I become confused now and it's really hard working. Maybe the answer is not enough for you,but I hope it can be useful.