Lin
help me~ which is right? if there is someone who make chocolate cake only, 1. i make only chocolate cake. 2. i only make chocolate cake. which is correct? The order is no matter? do i have to write just 'except for i make chocolate cake only'? Thank you.
I think they are both correct. 1. I make only chocolate cake. This sentence sounds like you are emphasizing that you will only make chocolate cake no matter what and will not make any other cakes if someone tells you to. 2. I only make chocolate cake. This sentence sounds like you are only making chocolate cake because that is required from you.
Hi Lin They are both good English, but they have slightly different meaning. in the first sentence, 'only' applies to 'chocolate cake', in the second, it modifies 'I make'. 1. 'I make only chocolate cake' - I can make all sorts of cake, but I choose to make chocolate cake and no others. 2. 'I only make chocolate cake' - I can make chocolate cake, but I cannot make any other kind of cake. You would never say 'except for I make chocolate cake only'.
Both are correct. Except 'i' should be capitilised "I" in both. In normal speech, I would normally say 2. I only make chocolate cake. But it is a matter of personal preference.