Kim Jeong Uk
What does this sentence mean? This is a sentence from the introduction of my soon-to-be homestay host lady. "I am friendly, required respect. There will be some house rules." I wonder what "required respect" means. Does that mean that she wants me to respect her?
May 10, 2016 10:04 AM
The text does not seem to be written by a native English speaker. I believe that she is saying that you have to behave in a polite manner to her. Additionally, there will be definite rules to follow - examples could be - no noise after 11 at night, take the garbage out, be tidy.
"I am friendly but show me (some) respect (as you would to any owner of a house). There will be some house rules."
Yes, she writes, theres gonna be some house rules, so by respect she means you gotta follow them and be nice and friendly to her as well.
"I require respect." The passage you quote is either a typo by you or she is not a native English speaker.