Plantiska
What is a firing aperture? His firing aperture was six inches wide at two hundred yards, leaving him a visual arc of more than 90 degrees. This arc would allow him to sweep the target area for anyone attempting to flee on foot in any direction. Questions: what is a firing aperture? By saying it is "six inches wide at two hundred yards", what does it mean?The hide was a shallow trench, not much wider than his body, dug perpendicular into the back slope of a subtle defilade running east-west across the jagged, semirocky terrain.
May 13, 2016 2:02 AM
I would be surprised if this is correct terminology, as an aperture refers to the opening or hole, not the range covered by a rifle at any distance. Unfortunately many manuals are now written using incorrect terms and people have started to misuse words to the extent that that new meaning becomes common. I was very surprised to find that the aeroplane I was in would land "momentarily" (i.e. for a moment and become airborne again) rather than "in a moment" (i.e. very shortly). Gotta love this language, or it will drive you crazy!
This is how you aim a gun. It is a small v shape that you point to where you want to shoot. So on the gun the gun the v is very small, but when you look at something 200 yards (182 meters) away it is more like six inches (152mm). Does that help at all?