Liusu
Can you help me work out these problems? 1.It was not until the 13th stroke that the bell stopped.(Can 'that' be replaced by 'when' here) 2.assignment/homework(what is the difference when both mean students' paperwork?) 3.Having saved a little money,Jimmy was able to buy his mother a lovely a new lamp.(Having saved=saving?) 4.I'm sick over Simon's mother coming to see me ( Is this sentence correct?)
May 13, 2016 12:14 PM
1. No, it can't be replaced. I'd understand what you wanted to say, but using "when" would not be correct at all. 2. Homework is done between lessons. An assignment is a larger project, which may need several days or weeks to complete. It certainly can be done at home. 3. No, it's not exactly the same. "Having saved" = the result of saving money. 4. The phrase is "to be sick of (something)". "Sick over" is not correct in this sentence.
1. When can certainly replace that. 2. Homework is done at home but an assignment is some generally done at school. 3. Having Saved = Saving. Saving a little money is correct. 4. All correct except "over". It should be an "of", but it's isn't incorrect.