Jenny
What do these words mean? a restaurant offers a variety of dishes, more so than is the case with an inn. Thus most restaurants do not open for breakfast and [those] that do, [outside of] hotels or modern-day inns, specialize to some extent in this meal, but the meals they do serve have more options than traditional inns could provide. In this text, what does 'outside of(hotels or modern-day inns) mean? It means 'except' or 'just outside, for location'? and plus, what can the pronoun 'those' be? Isn't it 'most restaurants'? Please help me out! Thanks
May 16, 2016 10:45 AM
'Outside of' has the sense of 'except' here. 'Those' refers to the (minority of) restaurants which open for breakfast.
"Outside" means in this text except. It is told that most restaurants don't open early for breakfast, but some restaurants do. Hotels are not important to look at, because almost every hotel offers breakfast, so hotels and modern-day inns are left out. "Those" are the few restaurants that do open for breakfast. You can say that the many restaurants that don't open for breakfast, would be reffered to as "these (restaurants)" and the other ones that do open for breakfast are "those". I hope I was able to explain it properly. Have a nice day, Jule