Laura
What mean "escape me" in this sentence? I read this in the morning, "And this mode, which I at first put on with some violence to natural inclination, became at length so easy, and so habitual to me, that perhaps for these fifty years past no one has ever heard a dogmatical expression escape me." What mean "escape me"? Does mean that I haven't said words of dogmatical expression in the past fifty years? I am expecting your answer. Thank you!
May 17, 2016 11:55 PM
Firstly, where on earth did you find that piece of writing? It is terrible! It sounds like it has been (badly) translated into English from another language. As to your question - I think it means no-one has ever heard me say such a thing (because I have not said it). But in that case, it should be 'escape FROM me".
That's correct, in this case it means he has not said a dogmatic expression in the past 50 years (the expressions have stayed in his mind, they did not escape him). However, this is not a modern use of the phrase "escape me". Usually if something escapes you it means you forgot it. Example: "I read a book this morning, the name of the book escapes me." -- I can't remember the name of the book I read this morning.
To reprhase: "... no one has ever heard a dogmatical expression from me." It means: I have never said something like that. In other contexts 'escape me' can mean 'notice.' Example: The two motorcyclists escaped me. I did not see them. OR Your lies will never escape me. I will always notice them.