Andrea Patrucco
Hello! Can somebody show me the difference between still and yet? Thak you so much! :) *anybody
May 18, 2016 7:45 PM
I'd say, "still" stresses the duration, i.e. might involve disappointment: I still have not received the order, I expect it since two days. "Yet" is more neutral, it simply hasn't happened: I have not yet started listening to the CD.
Not yet. Does he speak yet? He doesn’t speak yet. Why doesn’t he speak yet? He doesn’t need to speak yet. We can’t see them yet. He’s only two and he speaks a little already / he already speaks a little. Does he speak already? / Does he already speak? Yes, he speaks already / he already speaks. Is he already here? / Is he here already? Have you finished it already? / Have you already finished it?
Examples: I still go swimming every weekend. We have to call them to arrange the time of the meeting. Do you still smoke? They still went running in spite of the rain. Did you still buy him a present after how he treated you? Will you still be able to come? I think we’ll still have it next week. We can still see them. Can you still do it? I would still call him if I were you. Would you still send them a message?
Thank you all!!
Uses and differences between: Still, yet and already. STILL Meaning: still, yet (positive phrases and questions) Position: Before the main verb after is, am are, was, were Use: Report follows or still something happening in a given time   YET Meaning: still, yet (negative phrases and questions)  and (positive and negative questions) Position: Normally at the end of the sentence. Use: Indicate if anything has happened until the present moment. Restrictions: Depending on the use, not used in the past (with auxiliary verbs was not, Were not, did not and Had not)   ALREADY Meaning: and (positive statements)  and (questions to indicate positive surprise) Position: Flexible: before the main / verb after is, am are, was, were, or at the end of the sentence. Use: Report something already happened before the moment when it comes. (For "and" in negative sentences, will "anymore" or "now" for example uses: They no longer live here -They do not live here anymore / now.) Note the following examples to understand the above discussion: