HyeonWoo
Questions about inversion in German I saw this sentence in my grammar book. Was gibt es Nützliches oder Interessantes im Magazin? Is there anything useful or interesting in the magazine? Can I say this sentence like this way? -> Es gibt was Nützliches oder Interessantes im Magazin? or -> Gibt es was Nützliches oder Interessantes im Magazin? As I see, 'Es gibt was ~' corresponds much better with 'Is there anything ~' than 'Was gibt es~' Is it okay to say like that? and which one is more natural in German? and why does Nützliches and Interssantes start with capital letter although nützlich means useful and interessant means interesting? Aren't they adjectives? Thank you for reading my question.
May 24, 2016 7:59 AM
Was gibt es Nützliches oder Interessantes im Magazin? - is a question because the sentence begins with "Was" (what). Es gibt was Nützliches oder Interessantes im Magazin. - is a statement and not a question. "Es gibt" means roughly "There is" in English. "Gibt es was Nützliches oder Interessantes im Magazin? - is always question. "Gibt es" is roughly "Is there?" The reason why "Nützliches" and "Interessantes" are capitalized is because in this case they are nouns - but mean exactly what you thought. Nouns in German are always capitalized.
Rules: - In a main clause, the verb is in second position. Es GIBT etwas Nützliches im Magazin. = There IS something useful in the magazine. The subject does not have to be in first position (as it is required in English): Etwas Nützliches GIBT es im Magazin. Im Magazin GIBT es etwas Nützliches. - For a question, the verb is in first position, but after the "question word" (interrogative pronoun), which can be considered to be in "zeroeth" position. GIBT es etwas Nützliches im Magazin? = IS there something useful in the magazine? WAS GIBT es Nützliches im Magazin? = (no direct equivalent) WASfür nützliche Dinge GIBT es im Magazin? = WHAT kind of useful things ARE there in the magazine? WELCHE nützlichen Informationen GIBT es im Magazin? = WHAT useful information IS there in the magazine? So "Is there anything ...?" denotes a question, while "Es gibt (et)was ..." denotes a statement, and don't have the same meaning.