Andrés
Few details concerning the passive. 1. In a sentence: 'The police showed the victim a picture of the suspect.' may I passivize this way with 'a picture' as subject: a) 'A picture of the suspect was shown the victim.'? Maybe better do it with a preposition? b) 'A picture of the suspect was shown TO the victim.' 2. 'The referee declared the boxing match a draw.' Is possible to passivize it with 'a draw' as a subject? If so, the I would like to ask which preposition use? Maybe: 'A draw was declared UPON the boxing match.'? 3. 'The incident earned him the reputation of being unreliable.' Can I passivize it in such a way: 'The reputation of being unreliable was earned by him because of the incident.'? Thank you for your answers!
May 24, 2016 9:59 AM
A couple of grammar notes first... "A few details..." = some details "Few details..." = not many details "Passivize" is a very ugly word-formation. We never use it. Use the phrase "make passive" instead. 1) Sentence B is correct. Sentence A has the opposite meaning (and is logically impossible). Think of WHAT was shown. Direct object, indirect object. 2) It's very awkward with "a draw" as the subject, and "upon" doesn't sound like the right preposition. Use the regular passive rules with "the boxing match" as the subject. 3) To be honest, I don't see the point in changing the sentence at all. It's just the way this particular verb (to earn) works.
Andrés
Chinese (Mandarin), Czech, English, Hungarian, Polish, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Russian, Spanish