Yammy0111
Abut Phrasal Verbs *About Phrasal Verbs It could be very important for a lot of learners of English to learn phrasal verbs, but I feel like most Japanese people including me are bad at using them properly. Some of them would have no idea how they can pass the knowledge of phrasal verbs. What do you think about it?
May 24, 2016 11:32 AM
You just need to learn these as you go. Practise using them in sentences, because their meaning often comes from the context of the sentence.
Thanks for great advice Robert. When I talked about the term ”phrasal verbs” to some native English speakers, they didn't know that. Of course they aren't English teachers. At the same time most Japanese people also don't know such grammar terms in Japanese unless they study how to teach Japanese as a second language.
Phrasal verbs are a popular way of teaching one aspect of English verbs that are coupled with particles (also called adverbial prepositions). There is a less popular method, which tries to teach the meanings of the particles and how they influence a verb. For some people that works better. I am not convinced that "phrasal verbs" really exist except as a teaching method for explaining English grammar. Very few English natives know that they exist, unless they are teaching others learning English as adults. We just learned them by hearing others speak. Nobody teaches phrasal verbs to children.