YoY
Programming Command I try to understand a computer programming command in English, which is so hard... Could you explain about the difference between the below sentences? Which is more natural? 1. Store the process common data. 2. Store process common data. Is it normal to use the article or omit it when you write a command...? If data is not specified, does the second command make sense? I am sorry about my lack of related knowledge.Thank you for your help in advance.
May 24, 2016 11:57 AM
First of all, "programming command" is a little unclear. "command" usually mean the statements available in a programming language with which to construct a program, such as WHILE, DO, FOR, BEGIN, END, etc. What you wrote as examples look more like the comments you might write in a program source text to annotate it, or in a separate documentation of it. In the source code itself, articles are often omitted because you want to be succinct not to unnecessarily clutter the code. If it is part of separate documentation, you should write properly observing the normal rules of the article usage. In your two example lines, I think both are okay - #1 is probably better for full documentation, but not as a comment line in the program. That's my opinion anyway. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your kind help!
When developers write code, the objective is to enter the least amount of characters as possible and have the program run/compile as efficiently and effectively as possibly. With that in mind, developers never use full sentences in the description of comments. They only do that if they have to. It is fine to leave "the" out .