nathanksimpson
I don't drink alcohol very much because of a health condition, will I be shunned in Korea?
29 янв. 2008 г., 22:04
2
0
Actually some of my sincere christian friends never drink alcohol. But I don't mind. It's their own choice and belief. So I think it's OK among your friends but when it comes to business or among colleagues who don't know you enough the situation could be li~~ttle bit different. Drinking is kinda common culture to mingle together in Korea and this tend to happen more often among men. But don't worry :) If you excuse yourself explaining your situation mostly they'll understand you. It's not a big deal I think :D
2 февраля 2008 г.
I think shunned is a very strong word. I am allergic to alcohol ao I can't drink but I don't feel pressure to drink. Once they know it is for health reasons, I think that people are usually quite accomodating. On the other hand, drinking (especially with co-workers) together is a popular and cherished past-time of Koreans - so they may feel a little bit awkward in this situation. If you make them feel at ease, then there should be no problems.
30 января 2008 г.
nathanksimpson
English, French, Japanese, Korean
French, Japanese, Korean