echofloating
How do you pronounce it ? Here is the sentence: The Eastern Dragon is rising on the winds of change. I would like to know if we should pronounce the first word" the" as "thee" when it is before vowel phonemes ( the end of ,the apple ...) ,but I found the pronunciation kept unchaged when I heard an American broadcaster read above sentence . Does it mean the pronunciation of " the" would not always change when it is before vowel phonemes ? Thank you so much for your help.
6
0
Normally, we say "thee" when "the" comes before an open vowel. I guess you just heard an exception. I can imagine it, but I wouldn't count it as typical or standard.
Yes, you are correct. The pronunciation of 'the' doesn't always change before vowels. There are usually "Grammar Book" answers and "real life" answers to questions like this. Or to put it another way, what do grammar teachers say to do, and what do native English speakers actually say. Some English speakers insert a consonant between 'the' and 'Olympics' (or whatever word it may be) in order to avoid saying 'thee'. The consonant is a glottal stop /ʔ/, as in "the/ʔ/Olympics." Something else you may be hearing is the connection of the words 'thee' and 'eastern'. 'the' can end with the phoneme /i/ and eastern begins with the phoneme /i/. These are connected and said as one sound (the eastern --> theastern). This happens any time a word begins with the same sound as the last word. (past time --> pastime, first time --> firstime).
It can be said either way, the way "thee" is used it just to apply more implication about what the subject is.
echofloating