Aude
Community Tutor
What does "like a stone to his gut" mean? Does that mean he's really sad, or only shocked or something else? I'm translating a text, and there are other expression that I'm not sure to understand, here there are: a tree line" is it like several trees forming a line, or is that a limit in a wood for example (like after these trees there are no more) If anybody were bilingual French and English both, please tell me :)
5
0
"The tree line" on a mountain is the height at which the climate becomes too dry and cold for trees to survive. From a distance, you see green below the tree line, and bare rock and snow about it. "As we climbed the trail, at first we could see nothing but the woods around us. Then we got above the tree line, and suddenly we could see a spectacular view of the mountains all around us." A hard blow in the belly or "guts" affects an area called the "solar plexus." It creates a stunning effect of shock, beyond pain. There is a temporary inability to breathe ("it knocked the breath out of me.") The person who has been hit doubles up and falls down. In your example, something that has happened has caused the person to feel stunned, shocked, and almost unable to breathe. It does not mean "sad."
stone to his gut - a sudden sad emotion tree line - edge of a forest
A "tree line" can also refer to a line or row of trees, especially a row that borders a corn field or field of some kind. I grew up in the country and tree line was commonly used in this way. "I left the field and walked along the tree line".
An increase in fidgety.
Aude
English, French, Galician, German, Portuguese, Spanish
English, Galician, German, Portuguese, Spanish