Юлия
Which is better? I'm having a coffee. OR I'm drinking a coffee?
2 Th10 2016 14:33
9
0
Both can be used. "I'm having a coffee", without context can also mean that you are ordering a coffee. It can also be used like this: "I'm having a coffee; do you want some?" "I'm drinking a coffee" specifically refers to the action of drinking of coffee.
2 tháng 10 năm 2016
To me both are the same thing.
2 tháng 10 năm 2016
Hi Italkian friend! How's it going? As for me they all fit the bill. I usually say that I'm having a cup of coffee! By the way, would you like to have a virtual cup of coffee with me in a trial lesson? Cheers!
2 tháng 10 năm 2016
The same with"I'm having&taking&eating the lunch",and there's no diferences with them.But words like "have&take" are used wider.
2 tháng 10 năm 2016
Both are informal, and within informal English, they work just as well as each other. From a technical standpoint, however, both are considered lazy. Why? Because "coffee" is an uncountable noun, and therefore the use of the article "a" is entirely inappropriate. There are a number of options that are correct: 1. "I am drinking/having a cup of coffee" ("cup of coffee" is a countable noun, and so it has an article) 2. "I'm drinking/having a cup of coffee" (same as option 1, but with "I am" contracted to "I'm") 3. "I am drinking/having some coffee" (uses the uncountable noun "coffee", and the appropriate uncountable pronoun "some") 4. "I'm drinking/having some coffee" (like option 3, but with the contraction of "I am" to "I'm") 5. "I am drinking/having coffee" (uses the uncountable noun "coffee", but the uncountable pronoun "some" is assumed) 6. "I'm drinking/having coffee" (uncountable noun "coffee", assumes the uncountable pronoun "some", "I am" contracted)
2 tháng 10 năm 2016
Юлия
English, French, Russian, Spanish