Community Web Version Now Available
Kucherenko Sergey
What's the best way to understand where necessary articles and where not ?
2 окт. 2016 г., 20:18
Answers · 2
As addenda to Diego's excellent answer, I have a couple of points. The Determinate Article is also (and possibly better) known as the Definite Article, and the Indeterminate Article as the Indefinite Article. If you see the term "Definite Article" or "Indefinite Article", they still refer to "the" and "a"/"an" respectively. A note on choosing between the options in the Indefinite Article: "An" is used when the following word (whether it is an adjective or a countable noun) starts with "hard" vowel, i.e. A, E, I, O, or U "A" is used when the following word (again, whether it is an adjective or a countable noun) starts with a consonant. The choice is based around how the word is spoken, not how it is written. This is a particularly important point, because there are words that would appear to have the wrong indefinite article in front of it when written on a page. In fact, the choice of "a" or "an" provides a clue on how to pronounce the following word. There are some words that start with a vowel which are correctly preceded by "a" instead of "an", for example "Having graduated high school with good grades, he felt ready to find a university to attend." This is because some words starting with "u" use the long u ("yoo"), which is considered a consonant, and therefore warrants "a" rather than "an". There are also some words that start with a consonant which are correctly preceded by "an" instead of "a". The most common example of this is the word "hour"... in this example, the "h" is entirely silent. The first voiced letter is a vowel, and therefore, the word receives the article "an" in cases where the article "the" or a number is not used. This is not true of all words that start with a silent letter, only when all the consonants before a voiced vowel are silent.
2 октября 2016 г.
Привет Сергей! I know that in Russian there are no articles, so I'll simplify things but this should give you some general ideas about where they're necessary. The articles can be of two types: Determinate (THE) or Indeterminate (A/AN). The main difference is that THE refers to ONE specific object, and A/AN refers to ANY object. For example, if you tell your friend to sit in A chair, this means he can sit in any chair he wants. If you tell him to sit in THE chair, then there are two options: 1) there is only one chair to choose from, or 2) he knows which chair he should sit on. The nouns can also be of two types: Countable (can be counted, 1, 2, 3, many: car, book, chair, etc), and Uncountable (can't be counted, you could have "some", but not any number: for example: air, water, information) So: UNCOUNTABLE nouns: - Can not have an indefinite article: You can't have "a water", or "an information". - Can have an definite article, this means a specific instance. For example: the water in this river is dirty (not ALL the water, but only the water in this river!). The information which this man has is false (not all the information in the world, but only the information which this man has). - Can have NO article, when it is mentioned in general, not a specific instance. For example: Water is good for you. Information is power. COUNTABLE nouns: - In SINGULAR: they MUST have an article. Determinate THE when you refer to one object in particular: Give me the book (either there is only one book, or we both know which book you are talking about). Indeterminate A/AN when you're not referring to one object in particular: Give me A book = give me one book, I don't care which book you choose. - In PLURAL: they can't have A/AN. But they can have THE or they can have no article. THE is used when you refer to a specific group: The chairs in this room are comfortable. The cars in this shop are expensive. NO article is used to refer to ALL in general: Guns can kill.
2 октября 2016 г.
Kucherenko Sergey
Language Skills
English, Russian
Learning Language